Nutrition Care Process
Nutrition Care Process
The Nutrition Care Process was developed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association). It is a systemic approach to providing nutrition care, designed to improve the consistency and quality of individualized care and the predictability of outcomes.
Use of a care process provides a framework for the registered dietitian (RD) to individualize care, taking into account patients’ needs and values and using the best evidence available to make decisions and develop a plan of care.
Use of the Nutrition Care Process requires using standardized terminology to obtain a nutrition diagnosis, which is different from a medical diagnosis. The Nutrition Care Process consists of four steps which are sometimes referred to as ADIME.
The RD collects and documents information, such as:
- Food or nutrition-related history
- Biochemical data
- Medical tests and procedures
- Anthropometric measurements
- Nutrition-focused physical findings
- Client history
Data collected during the nutrition assessment guide the RD in selection of the appropriate nutrition diagnosis (ie, naming the specific problem).
The RD then selects the nutrition intervention that is directed to the root cause (or etiology) of the nutrition problem and aimed at alleviating the signs and symptoms of the diagnosis.
The final step of the process is monitoring and evaluation, which the RD uses to determine if the patient/client has achieved, or is making progress toward, the planned goals.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (www.eatright.org) has a wealth of information available to guide practitioners on how to effectively understand and use the Nutrition Care Process.
The following materials are available at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Web site at www.eatright.org
- IDNT: International Dietetics & Nutrition Terminology (IDNT) Reference Manual: https://andevidencelibrary.com/store.cfm?category=9
- Nutrition Care Process Toolkits: https://andevidencelibrary.com/store.cfm?category=8
- Information free to Academy members:
- Overview of the Nutrition Care Process: http://www.eatright.org/ncp/
- Practitioner resources: http://www.eatright.org/Members/content.aspx?id=5907
- Educator resources: http://www.eatright.org/Members/content.aspx?id=5908
Reference and recommended reading
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Web site. www.eatright.org. Accessed June 3, 2013.
Review Date 6/13